If it makes you feel any better about the situation... (Destiny)

by Robot Chickens, Friday, January 18, 2019, 11:01 (1937 days ago) @ Cody Miller

...Mike sent Marty a physical copy of the retail release numbered #001. So there's at least that.

Wasn't that on Vinyl? It's a lossy format and doesn't preserve all of the original :-p

Isn't vinyl technically a lossless format? I agree with your overall point, but that vinyl release has some sweet art!

There is analog noise / distortion and a loss of dynamic range.

This is 100% true

You can take a redbook audio file, copy it a bazillion Times, and still be able to perfectly access the original waveform as recorded.

The ability to copy a million times is mostly irrelevant because we're talking about one transfer to the end user. Also, perfectly accessing the original waveform is conditional. It depends on if the original was recorded on magnetic tape and then converted etc.

Vinyl is not lossless AT ALL.

Trust me, I think digital is the superior format for a myriad of reasons. I know that Vinyl playback has all those things you mentioned, I'm just not sure that word is used the way you are using it. If it were, all changes in medium would be lossy.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread