Yep. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 16, 2019, 07:39 (1939 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

But a living game is less like buying a movie and more like buying a pass to an amusement park. Bungie didn’t change anything “at your home” they just changed the details of where you go for leisure. I don’t think the SW example fits either side of the argument very well. But I do think this brings up an interesting point regarding the separation of production and consumption in the scheme of things. It highlights a difference in the location of the identoty of a thing.

Amusement park is a great example. People think they own software because they have a copy of it. A disc is just a ticket to use the software. a digital code is just access to the amusement park. There is art in the making of an amusement park too, but it's meant to amuse the user. If the owner of the park decides to change it and hires engineers to tear down a section and make something new, does that mean that we as the customers are required to preserve it? I mean, no in my opinion. We don't own it.

For the sake of this comparison, let's redefine amusement parks. Let's say that they have traditionally been prefab affairs that you install in your backyard for you and your family to enjoy. Do the people who designed it and sold it to you have the right to change it from it's original state or otherwise render it unusable? Maybe--I mean, yes, that's what all those legal disclaimers we agree to are about. That said, it's reasonable to expect that some people aren't going to like this. Consumers usual expectations about games they "own" aren't being met. It's also reasonable for historians to want to preserve in some fashion examples from previous points in time.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread