MotS (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, January 16, 2019, 16:20 (1939 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Other than at least encouraging it and promoting it once it leaked, sure. He certainly didn't oppose it even given an official release was forthcoming.

Should he have? He made a masterpiece and clearly wanted it to see the light of day. He has no responsibility to Bungie to keep fans from digging into it. I’m glad it got leaked, and I honestly don’t think it sets any negative precedent. Things leak all the time already. This isn’t some crazy new situation.

The whole situation is, of course, both complicated and probably deeply unfair. But, at the end of the day, I don't like the leaking of artistic works because I do think we should encourage artists by paying them for their effort. Theft is a weird, complicated concept in the digital age, but my thought is that Marty did not need to care / could afford it if the album he was not going to see any further payment from was suddenly available on the internet. But is that true of everyone? It's ok to leak Music of the Spheres, but would it be ok to encourage the leak and distribution of the music my buddy's band has made? When maybe it would actually hurt them financially?

What I wish Bungie had done was release Music of the Sphere for free as a token of good will and as a means to move past... the past. Instead, it felt to me like Bungie held onto it out of spite then released it when that was no longer viable, but also that the leak had some bad feelings / motives buried in there too. And I don't like any of that from either of these two sides that I never really ever imagined would ever be separate sides...

A joint release or even just a release and an affirming nod from Marty would have made me happy.

A leak and immediate linking to it by Marty and separately an official paid release by Bungie years and years after the music was finished made me sad.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread