MotS (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, January 17, 2019, 11:51 (1937 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's ok to leak Music of the Spheres, but would it be ok to encourage the leak and distribution of the music my buddy's band has made?

If the band wanted the music out there, but the record company was sitting on it unwilling to release it then absolutely. It would be ethically wrong, but morally right.

Wait, wait, wait. So if, as a software engineer, I have written code for my company and they decide not to sell it for profit, then I'm morally obligated to steal it and distribute it to the world?

Music or code, it's all intellectual property that is not owned by the employee but the company. Employee's get paid by their company to do a service for them, they don't own what they make. In my mind that both Ethically and morally wrong to steal from your company. Morals are defined by an individual and I wasn't raised that way.

Use art for example, If I'm an artist and someone commissions me to paint something for them and I do it. Turns out it's some amazing piece of art. That person then hides it in a room in their house for them to enjoy. Is it still morally my obligation to make sure everyone gets to see it? No. It might have been made by me, but I don't own the artwork.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread