Wooo! Now, bring Marty back! (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, January 11, 2019, 05:10 (1944 days ago) @ SIX min WHISTLE

I don't see Marty coming back. From all the info that came out I don't see him wanting to work with the studio again. Yes, there was obviously influence from Activision but it seems it was the bigwigs at Bungie themselves that fired him for not falling in line, and then his former writing partner just stepped right in and took his place. Maybe it isn't like that and there is no bad blood, but it's not the impression I've gotten.

I feel confident saying there is no bad blood between Marty and Michael, but I do think Marty's return to Bungie, if it were to happen, is greatly dependent on certain people no longer being at Bungie.

I think they kind of have to make a new game.

1. Destiny 2 is tainted. We know from Activision financial info that even with extremely positive word of mouth Forsaken did not do as well as expected by a decent margin. Plenty of once dedicated players like Revenant and myself have dropped the game entirely.

2. There is no way the next game isn't already decently far along in development. The only counterpoint I see to this is D3 likely being on the same engine still, so that work could probably be transitioned over if they do keep 2 as a base.

3. Outside investment. At this point Bungie is still likely to need investment. Unless they go way outside the box and go down the Warframe or Fortnite monitziation paths it's likely they'll at least need a to sell a new game to make decent money. I know I've continuted to stay away from D2 because you constantly need to buy new expansions to keep up, so I think buying the current Destiny game is a hard sell for a lot of lapsed players.

Best I can see is them re-branding D2. Calling it a new, non-numbered name like Destiny: Subtitle, and changing how content is added to the game, while also making it a new boxed copy and very clearly outlining what the plan is going forward.

Destiny: Beyond Infinite

Destiny: So Infinite You Wouldn't Believe It

something like that.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread