The cursor UI has real problems (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, August 22, 2014, 15:14 (3540 days ago) @ stabbim

I was just about to post that same video. Glad I read a few posts first. Dave Candland himself tweeted a link to that video and said the reasons they gave for the cursor paradigm are accurate, so it can pretty much be taken as "canon," I think. I feel that the tooltips are helpful, and I accept the UI for that reason, even though it seemed weird at first.

As for Vagueness' concern about the precise mechanics of moving the pointer... I was fine with it on the PS3 I was using during the beta, but this is definitely a YMMV situation. The default sensitivity and speed might not be ideal for everyone. Maybe it'll be adjustable, or even if it's not a setting on its own, it might be affected by the stick sensitivity settings.

I'm glad I didn't watch the video until after I read this, otherwise I would've said "This is exactly what I was talking about, why did you point me to some random guy talking about it?", because I assumed it would be an interview.

OK, having watched it, what is he talking about? He says it gets monotonous pressing buttons to get to stuff and then he says using the cursor is one fluid movement-- I don't see how that wouldn't be more monotonous. His point about tooltips makes no sense, they pop up every time you have selection on something, why wouldn't it work with the usual navigation?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread