Number of times I fought with the interface: (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 19:33 (3538 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Zero.

I thought it was fine.

I find that hard to believe with the thing in the item screen where if you move the cursor over a little too far or cut a corner it moves your selection to a different item class.

If I remember correctly, you play on a CRT, right? Perhaps the reason you had issues is due to your display... others may not share the same issues that you saw because they have larger screens, better resolution, etc.

I didn't have any issues with the interface either and quite liked it.

Agdtinman came in and said the screen scrolls differently in 4:3 and makes the cursor feel floatier, which I'm sure is part of it, but then LCDs have a slightly longer response time than CRTs, and I imagine that wouldn't help my problem of being slightly off.
That reminds me, one of my problems with the cursor UI is pretty personal but not unique. I have obsessive-compulsive tendencies, so I would often position the cursor just so on an item before I actually selected it, and that added time and frustration, and of course it's a problem that doesn't exist with the usual console navigation. I do do this in PC interfaces sometimes, but it's significantly faster and less fidgety to position a mouse cursor in a precise point or line or area than it is to position Destiny's cursor precisely. That's more my problem than the game's problem, but it's hard to ignore those urges completely even with medication, and I'm not the only that has them.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread