Prison of Elders Impressions (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 10:10 (3271 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I found it rather easy, almost like doing a strike playlist or something.

Ironically, I think several of the strikes handle Horde-style design far better than Prison of Elders. The first main room in the Sepik's Prime strike, the locked door in the first moon strike, the Cinders during the Archon Priest strike, Psyon Flayer battle on Mars... Even the indoor Devil Walker battle in the new HoW strike. They all have several defendable vantage points that a team can attempt to lock down together, with fallback options if they get overwhelmed. Bungie clearly knows how to design great wave/survival based encounters, which is why I'm so surprised that the PoE arenas are this bad.

We did find our corners on lvl 34.

Cyber, Vortech and I spent about 90% of our 34 run off in our own corners, because that was the only way we could each find a tiny bit of cover without being sitting ducks against the entire flood of enemies. In Gears or ODST, the trick was to find a point on the map that you could hold as a group, that also forced the enemy to split up and approach you across several different lanes. So your team would still be split up dividing the enemy forces, but within 1 area so you could switch or rotate if 1 lane gets overrun. It feels far more team-focused than PoE.

I didn't think "I don't want to ever do that again", but more like "I guess I could do that again, but I'd rather do a raid.

I'm sure I will end up doing it again, too... Plenty of times. As I said, I still had a good time because I was playing with friends, and Destiny combat is great. But I doubt I'll ever be the one to suggest playing PoE. Take the rewards out of the equation and I'd rather do any other activity in Destiny.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread