On Authenticity (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, June 28, 2015, 20:56 (3224 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I find myself agreeing with basically all of that, and it goes a long way towards defining my feelings toward the game and the mindset behind it that I couldn't really articulate.

It's the feeling that many of the design choices were made explicitly to inhibit players. The marks system is a perfect example of that. Why can I only earn 100 per week? Why is it capped at 200? The only answer is to prevent me from progressing at a pace beyond what Bungie wants. If I want to spend hours playing, racking up 500 marks in a week, I should be able to. Not that I would particularly feel inclined to do so, but it's the thought that they are limiting you basically on a whim.

I understand that they are a company, their purpose is to take my money. But what happened to the days when games used to stand on their merits, when devs were okay with you getting your time out of the game, then being done with it until you felt like coming back? Or better yet, if they wanted you to keep coming back, they did buy making a truly amazing game.

Don't get me wrong, most of what people complain about in Destiny doesn't bother me all that much. The game is just too damn fun for me to care about. I do work towards gear that I want when I can, but I also have spent plenty of time just randomly dropping into Patrol and killing things, not focusing on bounties (or even the patrol missions you can pick up).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread