Agree... (Destiny)

by yakaman, Monday, June 29, 2015, 11:49 (3216 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There's a lot about Destiny that feels very authentic. The art, the lore, the game feel, the guns, the raids. The Vault of Glass wouldn't exist if there wasn't someone extremely passionate about making a kick ass raid working on it. This is all why I play Destiny.

But the dichotomy is that there is a great deal about Destiny that feels completely inauthentic - things that feel cold and calculated and integrated for reasons other than game quality. The repetition and grinding, the barely there narrative, the trickle of DLC content, RNG loot, the promotional tie ins, platform exclusives, lack of game customization, and others.

These two statements perfectly sum up how I feel about Destiny. I have been in conflict with myself since I bought Destiny. Wild swings from simple joy to the feeling of being used. Back and forth, back and forth. I think it's fair to say that we (as a community in general) have been in conflict as well, and it seems like every time things settle down some new controversy erupts.

The music and the player controls and the time with friends are the very best - these are what make Destiny worth the cost of admission. But the rest...?

I've been clean for a month, and feel better for it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread