On Authenticity (Destiny)

by yakaman, Monday, June 29, 2015, 16:21 (3217 days ago) @ Ragashingo

To me, what sets it distinctly apart is that I feel like a wallet instead of a fan. Like amid the gameplay there is cold, hard psychology designed specifically to keep me paying and playing.

Like a slot machine.

The interesting part is at this point in Destiny's life you would have only paid $10 - $20 more than you did with Halo 3 or Reach but have gotten similar amounts of new multiplayer content, infinitely more single player content (since no Halo ever got new single player content) and vastly more free post launch support, tweaks, bug fixes, balance updates, and full blow features than any Halo received. (See my post to Avateur for details)

That doesn't discount what you feel in the least, of course. Destiny did launch with an inferior in-game story, and has required the replaying of content if you want to remain at the top of the Light Level and weapon damage curves. I just think from an actual pricing perspective Destiny, so far, hasn't demanded more from your wallet than other "recent" Bungie games did.

I absolutely agree that I've gotten my money's worth from Destiny, so my comment was not meant to minimize the cost-to-value relationship. You do bring up a good point regarding free post-launch support...no Halo had such a thing (at least not to that extent).

I played for a ton of time, but I'm not sure that I should have, nor if I really wanted to. I'm actually pretty sure I wouldn't do it again. I have had no such experience with any other game I have owned, so I'm not exactly sure what to make of it. That's more of what I was going for.....

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread