+1 (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 20:44 (3233 days ago) @ Korny

The issue is that some guns are that way by design (Hawkmoon can kill in one shot if you're lucky, two shots if you're slightly less lucky), and I think Bungie based their weapon philosophy on DPS as a whole. If you mess with the perks, you gotta take into account the way some stack, and how some perks (such as Full Auto) tweak the base stats of the weapon (or player). And that's before you even get to base stats on a weapon. It makes sense WHY they take the "easy" approach, but I think it's wrong too...

I think the perks are a big problem, compounded by reforging. Some perks are just so incredibly dominant. Hand cannons are the example right now of having way too much range. As much as I want to play with a Hawkmoon before the nerf, I think hand cannons do have problems. When I can kill a sniper with a Devil you Know or a Thorn, that's a problem. Coincidentally, both have send it on them!

Hand cannons work wonderfully in PvE. At range, they become less effective than scouts. I'm not sure why it's not like that in PvP. It feels like they have much more range in PvP than PvE.

My fix for thorn: lower the rate of fire, nix the send it perk and replace with something else, magazine down to 7 shots. You can still get those two shot kills with the damage, but you can't quite do it as fast or from as much range. I feel that will still be good, but not overpowering anymore.

My fix for Last Word: Fix the bug with the damage so that it only gets bonus damage while hip firing. Increase reload time. Keep two shot kill with hip fire.

My fix for Hawkmoon: I'll report back likely never.

I would be very very careful not to impact Legendary hand cannons. Guns like Devil You Know should probably enjoy the range advantage, given their handicap over the exotics by requiring a 3 shot kill.

I don't think fusion rifles ever dominated. It's always been shotguns. Shotguns in PvP should have their effective kill range cut by a third. You have plenty of options to get in close with sprint and blink and the like. That change alone would probably equalize fusion rifles and shotguns without any other work.

Auto Rifles are a mess, and I have no advice.

Scout Rifles are probably just not really that suited for PvP. Their effective range overlaps with snipers, where they will likely lose. Most of the maps just aren't built for them, and that's ok.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread