Playstation LifeStyle interview with Luke... (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 21:22 (3231 days ago) @ slycrel
edited by Kahzgul, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 21:29

I'm not talking about "simultaneous" kills. I'm talking about meleeing a dude, watching him take no damage, turn around, blast me with his shotgun, me die, and then him falling over and me getting a postmortem medal.

And I hear what you're saying about lag, but i think that when bungie made the hard choices you describe, they made the wrong choices. It's an unfair advantage to laggers (which is why lag-switching is a thing) because they can lag out, soak 3 full golden gun blasts, kill 2 dudes, and then the game catches up. No other FPS game I've ever played handles lag the way that Destiny does, and no other FPS game I've ever played is as frustrating when it comes to laggy players feeling overpowered and unkillable.

The whole game has TTKs of less than 2 seconds, which means shooting even a single extra bullet at someone while they're lagging has real consequences on your ability to fight the next guy. They seem to have some sort of "server by committee" thing going on where all of the players' systems have to agree on what's happening before it happens, whereas most games just make whoever has the fastest connection be the host. Sure, in Destiny you don't feel that "host advantage" but you certainly feel that lagging is tantamount to cheating.

For whatever reason, it's always magnified during Iron Banner, and is much worse than standard crucible.

My point though, is that there's a really standard model for FPS multiplayer when you don't have dedicated hosts, it works great, and Bungie decided to re-invent the wheel with side effects that I absolutely think are atrocious and were avoidable.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread