Well, that's, like, your opinion, man (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Friday, July 03, 2015, 08:25 (3231 days ago) @ ZackDark
edited by Kahzgul, Friday, July 03, 2015, 08:32

:p

But seriously, while I get where you're coming from, I also see the other side of the coin. If it wasn't for that thing, the guy you melee'd to death probably did notice you and shoot you before you got close to him. It's you who is the "died first" dude. I mean, not necessarily, but who knows? Well, I don't, do you? Well, I don't, do you?

My approach to Destiny is simply to not consider it in any way competitive. Several things are unbalanced, Supers are OP, gametypes don't really promote their real playstyle, etc. If I take Destiny's PvP competitively, I'd simply rage-quit the game entirely.

I'm sure the guy on the other end feels like I was lagging, too. That's my point. Bungie made Destiny's pvp favor smoother graphics over more accurate gameplay, and I think it was a mistake. I don't care if someone's all herky-jerky so long as they actually die when I shoot them, but in Destiny some guy with a bad connection looks just like a normal guy, except he doesn't take any damage when I shoot him, and then after just long enough for me to need to reload, he teleports backwards and suddenly is able to shoot and kill me. There's very little you can do to identify a lagger prior to wasting ammo on them. They also remain magnetic to your aim, so if they lag in front of someone else on their team who is a legit target, your bullets aren't going to hit the guy who can actually take damage. I wish the game would identify when a player was shot but took no damage, figured out it was lag, and then made the guy intangible until the lag caught up. Or, really, I wish this was not an every-other-game frequency event. It's just too damn common. WAY too common. And it literally throws the balance of a game. One laggy guy on a team can soak supers, heavy ammo, etc and effectively cause the other team to waste their precious death fuel. Even if he doesn't get many points, he's seriously hurting the other team.

Edit: I'm not trying to say "ugh this is unfair to me," I'm trying to say "ugh this was a poor design choice that is executed in the most frustrating way I can think of, and exacerbated by the scarcity of ammunition and the opportunity cost of long reloads, and in such a way that provides a tangible benefit to the teammates of the lagger, thereby encouraging lag-switching which is, effectively, cheating. Whereas, in most FPS games, the lagging player doesn't soak bullets like he does in Destiny, so lagging is a disadvantage to your team."

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread