Would you kindly give me your thoughts? (Off-Topic)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, February 29, 2016, 18:09 (3033 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

My 2 cents: TTK is a big improvement over year 1 Destiny as you play through the story, side missions, and raid. But I find it to be a step backwards from year 1 when it comes to the end game. The story is better, the questification of the mission structure works well, there's a nice variety to the missions and strikes, you level up at a nice rate, and the raid is a great end-cap to the entire thing.

When it comes to the end game, I think Bungie unlearned a lot of what made HoW's progression system work so well. Loot drops are painfully sparse, and there is now an additional layer of RNG when it comes to acquiring new gear (2 layers in some cases). Let's say for example you really want the Raid hand cannon. You could run the raid 15 times before you get it to drop. But the raid weapons now come with randomized perk rolls, so when it finally does drop for you, it might have crappy perks. So you run it a bunch more until you get the perks you like. Except now the damage values of the weapon drops are random as well, so even if you get the gun you want with the perks you want, it might have a lower attack level than you want, so you'll need to get lucky with other drops in order to "infuse" it up to a higher damage level.

All these layers of RNG make it extremely time consuming and frustrating to get the gear you actually want to use, at a level where you can actually use it. The icing on the cake is that in most cases the new weapons are significantly inferior to the year 1 weapons. There are definitely some exceptions, but in general I don't find the year 2 weapons are worth the time and effort it takes to acquire them. You can go buy the Dead Orbit vendor scout rifle on day 1 and have arguably the best primary weapon in the game.

All that said, I still play Destiny constantly and enjoy it plenty. I just play a smaller subset of activities now than I did in year 1. Overall, I think there is lots to love and enjoy in TTK.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread