Would you kindly give me your thoughts? (Off-Topic)

by Claude Errera @, Monday, February 29, 2016, 18:24 (3029 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

My 2 cents: TTK is a big improvement over year 1 Destiny as you play through the story, side missions, and raid. But I find it to be a step backwards from year 1 when it comes to the end game. The story is better, the questification of the mission structure works well, there's a nice variety to the missions and strikes, you level up at a nice rate, and the raid is a great end-cap to the entire thing.

When it comes to the end game, I think Bungie unlearned a lot of what made HoW's progression system work so well. Loot drops are painfully sparse, and there is now an additional layer of RNG when it comes to acquiring new gear (2 layers in some cases). Let's say for example you really want the Raid hand cannon. You could run the raid 15 times before you get it to drop. But the raid weapons now come with randomized perk rolls, so when it finally does drop for you, it might have crappy perks. So you run it a bunch more until you get the perks you like. Except now the damage values of the weapon drops are random as well, so even if you get the gun you want with the perks you want, it might have a lower attack level than you want, so you'll need to get lucky with other drops in order to "infuse" it up to a higher damage level.

Okay, so first off, nobody wants that hand cannon - its reload speed is glacial.

(Fine - no more jokes.)

I'll agree that there are a few levels to the 'get what you want' puzzle... but there are a few points I'd like to make:

1) I don't really understand the whole "run it until you get the perks you like" complaint - yes, there are 'god rolls', but if you're willing to live with a 'god - 1' roll, your waiting time drops by an order of magnitude, or more. There are certainly crappy mods... but the chances of getting DECENT mods are actually pretty good.

2) If you absolutely can't live without a particular roll, yes, you'll have to run things a few times to get it... but you might be exaggerating on the actual numbers. I've run Warpriest 2 or 3 dozen times, I'd guess, and I have worse luck than EVERYONE I've played with for Defiance of Yasmin (sniper rifle) drops. I ran it half a dozen times before the first one dropped. And then I ran it ANOTHER half-dozen times before one dropped above 312.

But if I look back now, I've had 6 or 7 drop, at least three of which were over 315. That's one every 3-5 runs... and like I said, I've never played with anyone who has worse luck than I do for that particular gun. Most people get one every other run or so. So 15 runs for a Zauli's Bane might be a slight exaggeration. :)

3) And the worse your luck is (and the more you have ammunition to argue with points 1 and 2 above), the less good your final argument is (the need to run EXTRA times to get infusion fodder). If you really had to run 30 raids to get a couple of specific-perk guns, I GUARANTEE you've got high-level gear to infuse those drops with, even if they land at 280 (which they won't).

I will definitely agree with you that they scaled back the loot drops in the TTK endgame, in comparison to the HoW endgame... but I don't think it's as bad as you're saying it is. (For perspective: I've gotten every single gun available in King's Fall, at least once - and usually more than once. I got my VERY FIRST Vex Mythoclast, and my VERY FIRST Vision of Confluence, last week - despite well over a year's worth of running VoG. I got my VERY FIRST (and only) Black Hammer about 3 months after I got a Black Spindle, despite many months of running Crota. So while getting EXACTLY the right gun might be harder now than it used to be... getting the GUN itself is actually easier.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread