Other games handle it better... (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, June 04, 2016, 02:26 (2934 days ago) @ Fire Opal
edited by Korny, Saturday, June 04, 2016, 02:40

I do agree that it is irritating to be put into a game that is obviously lost, after heavy has happened and with no super. That, as you say, is bad game design.

There should be some compensating factor such as landing with your super charged or extra crucible and faction rep if you arrive midway in a game. That would make things fairer and might encourage people to stay.

Black Ops 3: If you join a game in progress and lose, it doesn't count against your win/loss ratio. It's essentially free XP.

Uncharted 4: If you're dropped into a game in progress, you're given a huge chunk of currency so that you can immediately upgrade your gear or activate powerups/friendly AI.

I think Destiny could definitely benefit from something similar, such as having a full super if it would have normally been filling up, or a chunk of your Heavy equipped if the Heavy drop has passed.

To help prevent people from quitting when joining a losing match, they could be given a 7% increased chance at higher-light Legendary/Exotic gear after the match (players who didn't quit the match after their teammate(s) left could get a 5% increased loot drop). That way if the situation looks grim, at least you'd have a higher chance of loot waiting for you after the match, and if you join-in-progress, you don't get a loss on your stats. I also like your extra rep suggestion.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread