An actual case study (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, June 06, 2016, 06:30 (2932 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I should start finding excuses to repeat myself and link to old content too...

Yes, because Naughty Dog's new game and its success where Bungie failed or Rise of Iron has been mentioned before in the context of Bungie's story goals. NOT.

Are Destiny's narrative deficiencies going to require repetition each time another studio publishes a successful game with a good story?

Maybe just write a shell script to do it, I don't know.

Possibly. In 2013 it had never been done. Now it has and we can see the decisions and design that led to it. We have an actual case study which surpassed even what I thought was possible. I think to compare is valuable.

... in 2013 what had never been done? Nobody had made a game with a better story than Destiny?

Destiny is not some watershed moment in the history of games development where it has to be remarked upon whenever a game with a better story gets released afterwards, but not before.

To compare in a close reading might be useful, except I think the narratives are too dissimilar to make a close reading valuable. In any case, a valuable comparison would be more than just, "well, there's another successful game with a story better than Destiny's."

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread