I'd argue that it's among the worst things that 343 did... (Destiny)

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, February 10, 2017, 19:42 (2655 days ago) @ Korny

Yesterday was crazy. Sorry for not replying sooner! :)

That so-called "pro-team" did exactly what I was afraid they'd do when I first heard of them. They put way too much emphasis on ranged weaponry, short TTK, and fast movement, forcing changes to all non-ranged weaponry. They butchered the sandbox, and the game just feels like a poor man's Black Ops 3. And I'm a higher-tier player, so I was able to survive well enough in the game, but it sure as heck wasn't Halo anymore thanks to the "Pro Team".

CODY: You can argue that's exactly what they wanted. I'm not saying it was right or wrong, since I don't own or play Halo 5, but tastes and trends do evolve over time. Especially given that MCC ostensibly preserves the classic experience, it would be kind of foolish to keep everything the same. New game, new feel. Halo 2 sure didn't feel like Halo in multiplayer. It is an okay to evolve the game feel, just as it is also okay for players to prefer something else. The mere fact that there is change is not nessesarily a point to criticize. Not being a player I have no idea if the changes work within the framework of the game or not, but the response has been mostly positive anecdotally.

I'm with Cody on this. They wanted to move the franchise mechanics forward. The speed of the game was part of that. I think they did very good job of doing that without breaking it (compared to Halo 4 IMO). It still has one of the lowest TTK in any major FPS. I think the sandbox is one of the most solid in terms of balance (They don't have to have a Twitch stream to announce all their balancing changes lol). I'm not sure how much you played, but after playing pretty consistently, I think each weapon is unique and useful in certain circumstances now (Halo 4 did not do this).

(And then 343 started adding in variants of every weapon, so half the time, if you find a weapon on the battlefield, you have no idea what to expect if you pick it up. Will this SAW fire normally, or will it shoot Christmas-themed confetti? Who knows! Sandbox balance!)

Again, I'm not sure how much you played but these are actually very rare in competitive. Obviously they're predominate in Warzone and Fiesta, but their might be one on each arena map; so probably not half the time ;) Each one has a visual difference from the default weapon, so if you know them well enough you'll know which version it is. And they can actually balance the map much easier without changing how a weapon works every three months.

It took me coming from Destiny PvP to really appreciate how good Halo 5 PvP is. I like both in their own right, but Halo's is just more solid for team based, balanced MP.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread