Just realized something (Destiny)

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Friday, March 31, 2017, 18:53 (2553 days ago) @ Cody Miller

None of the people that Cayde is talking to are willing to engage, except for when loot is promised.

I actually really liked this. It seems that some folks assume that because some ancient human/awoken/exo was resurrected by their ghost that automatically makes them good people willing to sacrifice everything for others. It makes more sense to me that there would be elements of the Guardian forces who are self serving, small minded, or even cowards.

I like to think of Cayde's scene as being less general humor and more deliberate story-telling. Cayde calls them a "bunch of dirty misfits." I think it would be cool if there was an actual reason behind him using those words. Maybe Cayde and Ikora went to rally the dregs of Guardian society. The one's who aren't noble, or self-sacrificing, the one's who maybe skipped out a little on that last big battle.

Conjecture perhaps, but if you look at the two crowds body language you can perhaps glean some insight. Zavalas group are all mostly standing, many of them wear helmets and have weapons drawn. Conversely Ikora and Cayde's group are just as likely to be sitting, several of them don't have a helmet in sight, and the majority, while armed, are keeping their weapons stowed rather than held at the ready. Instead of earnest expressions of interest or concern, they've got arms crossed and even show genuine reactions of fear at Cayde's threat of death.

Hell, you can even interpret Ikora's behavior as somewhat un-trusting. Given that she never puts her shotgun away. Given that she's the leader of the Hidden (I think?), it makes sense to me that she doesn't quite want to lower her guard around these less than reputable Guardians.

I could certainly see such a group as that being more driven by the promise of rewards rather than calls to altruism.

At least that was my take on the scenario.

PS: I also think Bungie is trying to tell us that in Destiny 2 we might be able to fight and stuff without helmets on. Neat idea to me.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread