Another related reaction worth listening to . . . (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, April 01, 2017, 20:10 (2580 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I listened, but honestly didn't give it much consideration. I don't think Vinny even played the game at all, or at least not much, and Alex and Dan never seemed to really be into Destiny. I do want to know what Jeff and Brad have to say on Tuesday. Jeff was pretty down on Destiny, I think, but Brad was a huge advocate for the game, and fought tooth and nail to get Destiny on their Top Ten Games of 2014 list when literally no one else from Giant Bomb cared about the game at all. So I'm eager to hear his thoughts.

On a related note, Waypoint put up a podcast yesterday that's basically all about Destiny. It's Austin Walker and Patrick Klepek, both formerly of Giant Bomb, along with Danielle Riendeau and Rob Zacny, and I thought it was a really interesting listen.

Austin has a reputation of being pretty hard on games in general, even when they're good. He is very much interested in games that have a point, have a message or at least a story to tell, so he leans pretty hard on the "the grimoire is so good, we need to see more of it in the game" angle. And not just in the literal sense of, "I shouldn't have to leave the game to read the grimoire," but more in the "The actual game should tell stories this good," sense.

Patrick throws out an interesting idea about raid matchmaking that I think could be neat. Basically, he only finally did a raid by finding a Sherpa group, and he proposed making that an actual thing from within the game. Let players sign up in some manner to become Sherpas and get rewards for doing so. I'm not sure how it would or could be implemented, but I think it's at least an idea worth exploring. Incentivize players to help other players to complete the raid, which would at least help to discourage the LFG "Gjallarhorn required" attitude. I would like to see some neat community building frameworks within the game, but I'm not sure what they would be.

It's an interesting 40 minute listen, if you have the time.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread