Des2ny is Canon (Story Spoilers) (Destiny)

by grantixtechno, Sunday, September 10, 2017, 10:05 (2412 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's just that he spent the whole came chatting with the speaker.

I think this is probably one of my largest gripes. I'm supposed to believe he's some big bad dude, who has destroyed suns and conquered worlds, but all this hombre has done is get 3rd degree burns from the Speaker. And he dares think he can take on me? I've fought the time spanning Vex, slain a Darkness God, and annihilated a Machine God. I've killed Gods, multiple. And this guy shows up, talks a bunch, and then thinks he can take me on? Dude, I killed you on my own, no fire team. Give me a break.

I'm not as hard on Gaul as you.

Stripped of all gameplay, and brought down to the bare story of the game, I struggle to find the major theme of the story, and particularly, his part in it. What does Ghaul represent? Greed? I guess. He kind of acts like a brat who wants a friend's toys, but those toys are beyond his abilities to use. Is the theme of the story that no person can achieve greatness and embody the light (good) unless they are chosen by some higher being? That's kind of messed up. If beings chose to be good, could they be inheritors of the light? That's a far more interesting question that could have been answered by the story with Ghaul changing sides. Instead we're left with some generic baddie who falls before our invincible bad-assery.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game, I'm having the most fun playing this that I've had in ages. I'm probably more intrigued by aspects of this games mysteries than I am at mysteries present in blockbusters like Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild. But that doesn't mean I don't want better writing.

At the core of better writing, and better stories, are good characters. All of stories, literature, movies, or otherwise, are examinations of people and their relationships, whether that's with other people, themselves, or nature. Something I feel is missing from Destiny is true character exploration, and interaction. By and far it mostly feels like a plot line of loosely, barely connected action set-pieces, like a Michael Bay film. Don't worry about character development, check out this super awesome spaceship that's devouring Mercury and going to blow up the sun. (I mean, it was super freaking cool)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread