Des2ny is Canon (Story Spoilers) (Destiny)

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Sunday, September 10, 2017, 11:56 (2419 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I largely agree! Although I'm more forgiving of the flaws, probably. I have some more explanations on the plot holes, though.

I think we find out Cayde is on Nessus because of Failsafe's signal, though we only encounter said signal in game after already getting there. It's just poorly done? Looking back you put this in the connective tissue part, so, yeah.

The thing with the Warmind was to analyze the Almighty; and once you find out Zavala's plan is doomed to fail, it gives Ikora more reason to come with you. I suppose I can easily see where one might think this didn't have enough connection with Ikora's arc, though I personally thought it worked just fine.

I think the tension of disabling the Almighty made more sense from the perspective of the characters than the player, because while Ikora guessed the Cabal wanted to take the Light, they didn't know that Gaul was obsessed with it. For all they knew, the Red Legion would be okay blowing up the Sun if they had to to stop the counterattack, even if it meant losing their shot at the Light. So I don't think it was bad storytelling, but it was not optimal, either, and your idea might have been the way to go.

Gaul was an interesting villain, really, and I actually like how philosophical he was. It maybe wasn't the best route, but that last scene with the Consul really vindicated the structure of how you're running around and doing things mostly ancillary to the Red Legion until the end stretch, for me. If anything, I would have liked to see more reflection and conversation, even without more action.

On another note, I guess this means we maybe have a better idea of the consequences of Destiny 1's campaign ending. Now that we know that the Traveler was purposefully dormant- we helped it to quietly recuperate, by eliminating the Wizards draining its Light, and also by getting rid of the Heart of Darkness in The Black Garden I guess? I still don't really get that part; it seems like it should have been more empowering the Darkness than weakening the Traveler, if anything. Was there more explanation of it in Grimoire cards I missed? (Man, I still have to read all of that, some time.)

(I balk at the "therefore/but" rule, but I balk at storytelling 'rules' in general, because blah blah subjectivity. I felt like mentioning this for completeness' sake but don't actually want to talk about it, because my argument is mainly esoteric and irrelevant to the spirit of storytelling guidelines.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread