Des2ny is Canon (Story Spoilers) (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 11, 2017, 10:03 (2418 days ago) @ squidnh3
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, September 11, 2017, 10:15

Blow up the ship, which is not a threat at all at this point in time.
Assault to take back the city.
Gault takes the light.
Final Showdown.

The mission to destroy The Almighty tried to make it seem like the Sun was going supernova at any moment and we had to stop it. But with Gaul still on Earth and his entire army still in the solar system, surely the danger could not have been imminent.

When I was playing, my understanding was that the protagonists were assuming that Zavala's assault was doomed to fail because the Cabal would just retreat as quickly as they came and blow up the Sun, which would be pretty consistent with their previous behavior (Shield Brothers strike). None of the protagonists were aware of Ghaul's actual plans involving the Traveler beyond cutting off the Light, although we as the players are due to the Ghaul cutscenes.

But the player knows his actual plans. I am actually not sure about how I feel when a player knows something the character they play would not. In film it's pretty common for the main character to not know some aspect of the villain's plan, but this is almost always done to create dramatic irony for the audience. We know who Buffalo Bill is and what he's doing, but Clarice is trying to find out.

But if you are controlling the character, and if the character knowing what you know would cause them to act differently, then I generally think this is a bad idea. Like, if you knew Liquid's plan in Metal Gear Solid, you would not insert that PAL card would you?

I don't think that works, and is another reason why storytelling in video games is hard / problematic on an intrinsic level.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread