Lost Sectors (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 10:35 (2462 days ago) @ Cody Miller

In all the ways that Des2ny is great, I think lost sectors were a misstep.

First of all, they are not lost at all. They are pinpointed on the map with markers, and the markers are additionally in the field. These should have facilitated exploration of the spaces, which would have made the places feel bigger than they are if you don't know what lies beneath.

Second, they are kind of lame. The 'boss' is just a yellow bar enemy, and the spaces aren't super unique like an adventure or a strike.

In a perfect world, a lost sector would activate an adventure, or at the very least a mini-adventure with some lore or story implications.

One of the few misses I think.

I think an issue with them is that we all kind of hyped them up with our expectations. I know I made the comparison to Horizon Zero Dawn's awesome Cauldrons more than once before launch, when in reality, they're much more akin to Skyrim's bandit caves.

They're not endgame stuff, they're the neat things you run into when you're first leveling up and exploring. The lack of exploration was one of the biggest complaints in D1, and Lost Sectors were the fix in the shape of tucked-away encounter, but unfortunately we pretty much blew past them while leveling up. Our fault, I think.

I know plenty of casual players appreciate them and their loot, so they're not a waste (and some are pretty fun to push through, if only for the unique room designs and visuals). Plus, the fact that some give you a shortcut to a different region is kind of neat.

If you're ever playing with a low-level player, or you start up a new character, go through them, and you'll be surprised at how neat (and sometimes challenging) some of them can be.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread