Does anyone have the -opposite- vault space problem? (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 09:03 (2379 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I'd like to hear what the vault makes better.

Load times presumably. That being said, I’d much rather your solution.

Funny, the final fantasy SNES games could load menus with 100s of items with no load times. So can an Xbox or PS4. Bungie just has to choose function over fashion. The icons are even bad. Finding a particular scout rifle in your vault can be a pain if you don't know the icon by heart.

To be fair, none of those games stored your stuff on an external server that needed to be checked for every load. And the icons are better than text strings IMO. Connected to this, you should shard anything you cannot recognize instantly.

You shouldn’t need to poll the server to display what you have. That loads once when you start your character and is saved. The server is then polled only when the state changes. Equip a weapon, then the server checks to make sure that’s legal. But display what you have completely client side.

I think that’s a reasonable statement, but the thing takes so long to load that I’m not convinced it doesn’t check each time.

Also, you never know how many loop holes could be exploited by not checking every time. They probably are doing it specifically for data integrity.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread