You people are insane (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, March 28, 2018, 14:46 (2376 days ago) @ Korny
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Wednesday, March 28, 2018, 14:51

I ran as a couple of different Warlock subclasses last night, and found the burst of momentum at the beginning of my glide was so much more than before that it took me a few minutes to recalibrate. I was overshooting things a ton at first. Dawnblade felt hugely different while using the super - I was zooming across the map so fast that I nearly fell off a few times. And I definitely used that super more times than I'm used to during the strikes we ran.

My Nightshade pulse rifle might have felt a bit different, I wasn't as sure about that part. It felt like MAYBE it was doing a bit better on from-the-hip body shots than before. But that gun was never really lacking in the first place IMO. Might be easier to tell with a crap gun, but I dismantled all those already. :P

I'll have to try out the other classes and see how they feel.

I haven't tried Warlock or Hunter yet, nor have I gone out of my way to test and compare all the various things that have been tweaked. I just jumped in with my Titan and played for a couple hours, doing my usual routine through some patrols, public events, and strikes. I used a couple subclasses, a bunch of different weapons. And in that context, literally the only change I noticed was that my Titan's jumps were tweaked... and ironically, they'v been changed in a way that makes me feel slower (the "Catapult" jump now gives the titan a noticeable bump "upwards", but it appears to be at the cost of forward momentum). I'm certainly not denying that the changes are there, and I'm sure there are some changes that are quite noticeable (I ran across several other players who were using Linear Fusion Rifles in patrol, and they looked like they were wrecking shop with them :D).

Again, though, as you acknowledge, you were just playing as the barely-changed Titan, doing the same dumb Titan things that your kind usually do, using the same boring guns that you are glued to, despite your likely-overflowing Vault (which, now that we've had the biggest, and likely only major overhaul since launch, the whiny "I don't wanna delete these 200 guns because maybe the Meta will change and they be gooder!" people can finally go through their vault and delete the garbage that they've been hoarding, and we can finally stop hearing complaints about Vault space)...
You gotta mix it up, man!

You know what they say about assumptions ;)

I did mix it up. I used several auto rifles, hand cannons, scout rifles, pulse rifles, swords, rocket launchers, grenade launchers, 2 of my subclasses, experimented with the jumps, tried different grenades...

I did NOT sit there with the patch notes in front of me and go through it like a check list. I just played the game, but swapped gear and abilities more frequently than usual so that I could get a natural, organic feel for how the game plays in its updated form. I still need to do more of that, because I obviously haven't tried everything (nor did I claim that I have). But 2 hours is enough time for me to say with confidence that this update is not a "game changer" in any significant sense. I'm not getting more supers per strike than I used to. I'm still waiting for what feels like forever between grenades. I still can't use my jumps without killing all my forward momentum. For a patch called the "go faster" update, I think it is fair to expect the changes to be sweeping enough to have an impact on the game for all players, not just some players using certain weapons or supers. And I don't feel that is what this update does.

I'm just saying that as a player who's been away from the game for a while, playing this new update does not feel at all like what I was expecting after watching Bungie's developer commentary video. Maybe I got too excited by what I was hearing, but in my honest opinion they substantially oversold the significance of this update, at least in some cases.

Yeah, that's why I pointed out that the "commentary" was just fluff to hype up some desperately-needed changes. You fell for it. What's the saying? Fool me ten times? Gotta wise up, man.

I love the way people tell me not to be so negative when i say I don't take Bungie at their word, and then when I do take them at their word people tell me "Gotta wise up, man!" lol

Or said another way, the fact that it is possible to jump into the game, play for 2 hours using a variety of loadouts and still not feel any real difference, is evidence that this update is relatively minor. I'd put the fact that it still feels slow compared to D1 in that category as well. I'm sure the tweaks are going to be a nice little improvement to the game for those who are playing and enjoying D2 for what it is. IMO, this update is not going to pull people back into playing if they've fallen away from the game, which is a shame to me, because that's what I was selfishly hoping for.

Right, and the thing is that folks like you and I are looking for a content overhaul, not a weapon balance. We need a reason to play, which you can't get simply from improving the gameplay itself. A miniscule sampling of strike-exclusive content isn't going to pull players back in. The gameplay is more fun, but the game is still lacking when it comes to providing us goals to strive for. We need new game modes (not just PvP), new areas to explore, new activities to do with friends, new challenges. We need that Curveball that DE was stressing the importance of...

That you were somehow hoping for a weapon and movement rebalancing to supplant these things to bring you back is kind of silly, no?

Totally off the mark here. Gameplay re-balancing is exactly what I was hoping for. I'll play the same content over and over and over if I find the combat consistently fun and exciting and dynamic. I like Destiny 2. The combat is good. But I have enough problems with how it plays in certain ways that my desire to keep playing has dropped off. I was hoping this update would address at least some of my complaints. So far, I don't think it has.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread