Game Over Player One (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, April 07, 2018, 10:32 (2205 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I’m a little surprised nobody has mentioned anything about Ready Player One on here especially given the Spartans cameo.

I mean, they show up in the trailer, so we’ve known for ages. Also, as Avateur pointed out once before, Halo as a franchise is no longer as relevant to people around here as it once was.

Given the talk about video game movies, on a plot and story level it was fairly entertaining and well done. Not perfect; I felt like Wade’s home situation could have factored into things a little more, but whatever.

Haven’t seen a Spielberg movie in a while; How does it compare to Schindler’s List?

But the biggest thing that stood out to me was the downright regressive treatment of gender. Holy smokes was this movie troubling. It pretty much brought back the 80s action movie notion of women as trophy and accessory. Halliday completely eliminates any agency or humanity for Kira, who spends her existence literally on a pedestal waiting as a quest reward. She was almost exclusively seen and treated though his male gaze.

Careful, you’ll trigger Kermit with all of your displeasure towards sexism and toxic masculinity... :P

In true 80s fashion, the hero wins the girl just because he did something heroic, despite her initial rebuffs. I was wondering if Samantha had had a horrible disfigurement instead of a minor birthmark, or if she was a quadriplegic or something, Would Wade have been disappointed then?

Spoiler alert. Some of us aren’t complete nerds, so we haven’t read the book.

Yeah the movie was fun, but it was shockingly backwards socially.

Interesting, yeah. Then again, Spielberg is pretty old school, so it’s to be expected.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread