Game Over Player One (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, April 07, 2018, 11:49 (2183 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Korny, Saturday, April 07, 2018, 11:58

No. You’re just overreaching and trying to cram plot points that were perfectly fine into your pre-formed conclusion of sexism. In this movie some women are good, some women are bad. Multiple women are shown as intelligent and capable and they too are keys to saving the day

Nothing you really said is addressing my criticism. That has nothing to do with what I was talking about. Intelligence or capableness are irrelevant here.

Cody's right. you can have all the intelligent women in the world in your film, but if the hero-claims-the-girl-as-reward trope is there, it's still there, it's still dated, and in this day and age, it can still be seen as an issue.

And that's completely besides mentioning that it's a "white hetero male" who wins the girl and saves the day, as the SJWs are sure to point out and take issue with, but honestly, that's just dumb nitpicking.

The problem is the way a character is turned into little more than an object. And that problem is not mitigated by other, unrelated characters not fitting that description.

I agree that it's kind of a dumb debate to be having about the film. It's just a detail worth noting, though, since we're moving past that as a society (or trying to, anyway)...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread