Game Over Player One *SP* (Gaming)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, April 07, 2018, 19:30 (2210 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Ragashingo, Saturday, April 07, 2018, 19:37

The film has a male protagonist. I'm describing important ways she helped him. If a male protagonist learns how to be a better person from a female, that's sexist?

I haven’t seen it, but I think his point is that she exists solely to serve the male lead. She does nothing for herself, but instead is a plot device to give the lead male character knowledge or motivation or whatever.

Nah. There’s a scene where its made clear that Will is infatuated with Sam and he makes a fool of himself. Because for him, the contest is about maybe having the chance to buy a mansion and get out of poverty and be rich. But she doesn’t fall for him. She isn’t there for him. She makes it dead clear that his little dreams are silly and worthless.

For her, it isn’t about the money or control of the virtual world. And it certainly isn’t about him. She straight up tells him that she’s there because IOI (the evil megacorp) sattled her father with debt then forced him into one of their work centers where he had to pay it off by working for months or years within the virtual world. And when he got sick and couldn’t work? They didn’t help him. They kicked him out and without income and drowning in debt, he died. Sam was there to avenge her father and to prevent the same happening to others.

This is crystal clear when he professes that he loves her and she starts with “you don’t even know me.” And from there, she end up leaving him behind mouth agape in a hallway. Why? Because for him, the whole contest was just a game. For her, it was personal, and real, and he was nothing but a distraction.

Going back further, the male lead first recognizes the girl becuase he has long heard of her skill and exploits, and because he watched her videos and acknowledges she is the best of the best. As best as I can recall, she doesn’t know who he is, because why should she? And again, the only reason they meet at all isn’t because she is drawn to him or anything like that. She is on her own quest for her own reasons. And had been for a long long time.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread