Game Over Player One (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, April 07, 2018, 16:43 (2204 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, April 07, 2018, 16:54

You weren't playing attention. The Kira subplot was explicitly pointed out as a false narrative.

Um what? This has nothing to do with the wrong turn they take regarding the club.

Your eagerness to take some regressive message from the movie is on you, but it makes me sad that you've adopted that filter.

You are thinking too literally about this, like most people I think. I just saw A Quiet Place (which was fucking awesome by the way). Afterwards, there were numerous people in the group who complained the movie was sexist. Blunt only cooks, cleans, takes care of the kids, and is pregnant. Krasinski hunts and protects the kids. Therefore it perpetuated traditional gender roles and was sexist.

But was it? No! The traditional gender roles were sexist because the woman existed to serve the man. Honey I'm home! As if she now needs to drop everything because the king of the castle is here and he deserves he complete attention. The woman was en extension of the man, cleaning HIS house, cooking HIS food, and raising HIS children, without an identity of her own. She exists as accessory.

This was decidedly NOT the case in A Quiet Place, as both were equals in the relationship, both had distinct wants, goals and agency. They existed independently, but still made a family together.

Just because a film has a woman who is smart and capable does not mean it's not sexist. I mean, every Bond girl was smart and capable!

Yes women are impressed by men in real life. Again, that is not the issue. The issue is how they serve the story, and whether they are defined by a man or not. If as you say Samantha is the real hero, why is Wade the one rewarded, and rewarded with her as the prize? The story is not framed the way you seem to describe; she is a secondary character in Wade's story. Contrast this with A Quiet Place where Blunt was given story agency outside of her relationship with Krasinski.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread