definitions of grinding/farming (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 14:56 (2349 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I'd still argue that your definition of grinding could use some work. My quick definitions are:
1. Farming - the repetitive collection of something
2. Grinding - the repetitive performing of an activity to achieve a reward whether through RNG or collection of something

That still doesn't quite get there for me. I always saw farming as just repeating an activity to get the rewards or materials.

Grinding has a more negative connotation, in that it's required for progression. Destiny 1 forced you to repeat activities to get your light level up so you could move on to the next thing.

I'm not a fan of farming OR grinding, and have appreciated fewer instances of both in D2. I'm mostly OK with the location token farming as I have never felt driven to artificially farm them, I just get them for doing cool things I enjoy.

I think farming is fine. Farming is what they're ideally looking for, I think. Repeating all the end game activities to collect all the rewards. The problem comes when they put the cart before the horse and make you repeat a bunch of activities just to make your number get bigger so you can even start the raid. I still think they're tied way too much to the power level thing and the way they use that to gate content. Ideally all activities would have cool gear with interesting perks. That's the biggest bummer for me when they talked about the progression stuff last week--it was entirely focused on how the numbers get bigger. I don't know about anyone else, but that shit is fucking boring. It's literally the least interesting way to handle progression.

I don't think anyone was concerned about how long it takes to get light level up (or very many people, because this is the internet--of course someone was). No one is asking for raiding or whatever activity you like to be the necessary thing to level up--they just want cool gear with cool perks to make it feel rewarding. Making my number go up isn't rewarding, getting cool stuff is.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread