Sony's the holdout, methinks. (Off-Topic)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 14:07 (1874 days ago) @ Cody Miller

DE directly addressed crossplay on their last devstream, saying that while it has always been a goal, and Sony's crossplay Beta is slowly expanding, existing contracts between Sony and Microsoft were preventing it, and that it would take some real re-negotiation of those to make it remotely possible to implement.

But we are talking about cross saves, not cross play.

I'm just not seeing the reason… all each version of the game does is look up your character on the server. So what does it matter if the other platform does the same thing? Neither the PS4 nor the Xbox apps have to talk to each other… they talk to bungie.net which is the same as now.

This doesn't require cross communication between platforms. If I post a link to a jpeg, my Mac doesn't have to talk to a PC for both of us to view it. From the point of view of each platform's code, they are doing the same thing they always have and only talking to the server.

Alright, you did good reading the first half of my post, congrats! Now read the second part.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread