No Man's Sky in VR (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, August 14, 2019, 22:15 (1710 days ago) @ breitzen

I only played about an hour or so, but I came away pretty impressed with No Man's Sky in VR.

It looks surprisingly good still. I suppose the clean art style helps there, as opposed to something like Skyrim VR which ends up just looking really muddy.

The dogfighting is the real highlight for me. It is absolutely incredible in VR. Being able to just look around through the canopy to track the targets . . . it feels like I'm a real fighter pilot. Supremely cool. The interior of the ship is extremely well modeled. It looks amazing. The little details really stand out in VR. It's very cool.

There are a few downsides. The HUD doesn't seem all that great. The little mission pop ups in the lower left get in the way. They are static relative to your view, so they end up clipping through everything and it looks really bad and is pretty distracting.

Using the mining laser is also a little wonky. They decided to use the light bar on the controller, so you have to physically move the controller around to aim at shit, instead of just being able to use your head and have it shoot whatever is centered. It's not a great control scheme, and it might actually be enough to prevent me from really diving in with VR. It's just not a comfortable way to play.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread