Yeah on iPhone try it with the free trial of Arcade (Gaming)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, September 23, 2019, 08:12 (1674 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Subscriptions don't bother me. The fact that there are so many competing subscriptions bother me. When it come to games, I'm actually playing more games because of Gamepass. Games I probably never would have come close to buying because I can play for a couple hours, if I like it, sure I'll keep playing it. But would I spend 50 bucks on Gears 5 even if people were saying it was better than the last couple but nothing mind blowing? Heck no. That could be said about music too. Hearing a 30 second snippet of a song on iTunes does almost nothing for me. In most cases, some of my favorite songs takes 2-3 full listens before I truly like them.

So yeah, I'm okay with having a giant library that I can pick and choose without a huge sink in cost.

Does it bother me that I don't have access to some games? Yeah, kinda. But not really. If I REALLY want to play a game, I can basically pay like 10 bucks to play that game for a month.

Man, there used to be this thing called a 'demo', where you get the first few levels of the game for free to see if you like it! No subscription fee required! Then you bought the game if you liked it! If you didn't, you weren't out anything but the time it took to try it out.

Yeah, demo's were great for users, terrible for developers. I've read many stories about having to basically create a demo from a games content just so user could try it out. You can't just cut off a slice of your game to make a Demo. Instead you had to custom create it, taking lots of man hours, and do it right before your game launched. I totally understand why demos don't exist anymore.

Either that, or you tried it out at a friend's or in the store to see if it was any good. You could give your games to your friends! It was amazing.

You can do all of those things except give games to your friends. But at the same time, if we all have subscriptions you really don't need to do that! Also, why give a game to a friend when you can just play with them instead? You can't share a single disk between two consoles.

I understand all of what you are saying, but at the same time, it's all nostalgia and doesn't exist in this day and age. I mean, I loved LAN parties, but again, that's not really a thing anymore.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread