Yeah on iPhone try it with the free trial of Arcade (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 15:55 (1675 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Kermit, Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 15:59

MoviePass was amazing until it got slowly worse before they collapsed under terrible PR and probably huge debt. All the other movie pass type things done by the theatre giants are just not worth it. I like watching movies, but I am not going to see a movie every week to recoup the cost of the membership...

Well at least in LA you only need to see two movies a month to save money!

Just checked - since January 1, I've seen 2 movies in theaters (one in late April, one in mid-June).

Yeah... not gonna happen. ;)

That's about my rate. In the 90s I used to a buy a year-pass to a local theater chain. $150, pricey, but I went to the movies at least a few times a month, sometimes more, and you could take a friend.

Now 95% of movies suck. Honestly, I'm sick of CGI, Disney, and Marvel--even art house movies are formulaic.

You’re just old man. I’d say a good movie still comes out once every two weeks.

Yeah, I am old and that was an old man thing to say. Yet there's truth in it. Let me amend it. On any given weekend, there is rarely anything at the theaters I'm interested in seeing, and it didn't used to be that way. I don't live in the boonies.

Now if I lived where you live, I could find something I wanted to watch every week or probably more often. My 95% number still might not be off when you consider Hollywood makes 400 to 500 a year, and that's just Hollywood. The calculus changes depending on what you can actually see in the theater. The runs of shorter because the audiences are smaller, and the theater experience can be shitty, even with reclining reserved seats--my theory is that as living rooms have become more like movie theaters, people act more like theaters are their living room. I love the Alamo Drafthouse, mainly because they seem committed to making movie-going an experience (and their aggressive no-talking/texting policy), yet last time I was there the guy next to me checked his phone several times, provided for-the-blind narration, and at one point brought out a crinkly bag full of snacks. (I came this close to reporting him, but had mercy at the last second.) I'm bummed because going to see movies used to be one of my favorite things to do, and now it's not. Some of that has to do with lack of selection, some not.

All that said, send me 20 good movies that came out this year--I'd like to know about them.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread