Destiny nowadays? also rantiness (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, April 01, 2020, 13:59 (1479 days ago) @ General Vagueness
edited by Korny, Wednesday, April 01, 2020, 14:13

I haven't logged into Destiny 2 in quite a few months. I've meant to a few times but honestly just the prospect of waiting over 5 minutes is putting me off it, plus waiting between activities and a lack of momentum. How's the playerbase now, and what can I do if I only have the DLC up through Forsaken?

You can do a lot, but also, it'll be hard to track what you can't do. The game as it was through Year 2 has been chopped up into disparate pieces blended together in a soup of quests and bounties. Many of which you can do, but also many which will be locked behind Expansion or seasonal requirements, and some that you might buy, but never get to, because they will be removed once the season is over, although you may be able to start them without buying the season pass. I know this sounds like an Insanedrive post, but that's the clearest way to describe it.

Also are links broken or something or is the front page dead?

Lol no, it's not dead. I monitor it closely, ensuring it stays... dormant.

Side note on DLC: Bungie, I've given up buying Destiny DLC as it comes out. Even as I finally have money to buy all the content I want, I lack the time and energy to play it. Even if I did have that, it's rarely worth the cost, probably the only Destiny DLC that was actually worth it was Taken King (disclaimer: I haven't actually played Forsaken yet, I was looking forward to it as well as Shadowkeep). I'm not going to pay for an annual pass either because of time but also I just don't like that business model, so I won't support it. If you committed to one high-quality expansive DLC per year at no more than $40 (preferably no more than $30), I'd buy the shit out of that.

See first reply. We have one more time-wasting season (Season of Felwinter) coming up, which looks to recycle some Rise of Iron content (if you believe the Rumours of Fleetwood Mac) for yet another short objective-based Horde mode + mini-strike.
We're close enough to the Fall expansion that I'd just hold off at this point.

Side note on time: I recently got Overwatch and I love it. I hope you (Bungie) learned some things when you were cozy with Blizzard, because it's very quick to load the game, match times are generally better than Destiny or Halo, and being able to jump into a little "who cares" game immediately while waiting for the actual game I want is just a godsend. You can one-up them by always having FFA and Mayhem available. If that sounds too boring you can switch out the gametypes, have FFA deathmatch or the one where you pick up crests, have Mayhem deathmatch or Mayhem Control, etc. Also you had better bring back oddball, if you haven't already.

Overwatch is neat, but that game has had fewer content releases in the past three years than Destiny has had in its worst single year. On the one hand, what little content there is- is super polished, and usually incredibly balanced. On the other hand, the game is incredibly stale at this point, and only really worth picking up during major events (although I did just pay $10 for Brigitte's Goat skin because LOOK AT IT).

PS. All of the content that you get in Overwatch WILL transfer over to Overwatch 2, so that's another thing that Bungie can learn from.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread