The Last of Us Part 2 (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, June 19, 2020, 08:32 (1406 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Korny, Friday, June 19, 2020, 08:38

I played for an hour. Now I’m excited again. Really fighting the urge to stay up and continue playing.

Yeah, we had to put the game down at 4am because of work. Despite the ever-lingering sense of dread, there's just no beating Naughty Dog at creating a story that pulls you forward towards the next story beat.

Naughty Dog is so good at writing characters. Little moments are so well done. Laura Bailey is already knocking it out of the park as Ellie.

As Abby (not sure why Naughty Dog considers her name a spoiler, but whatever), you mean? Absolutely. That's the thing about Laura Bailey: They give her such BOOOOOOORING characters to play 99% of the time. But Naughty Dog clearly recognized talent when they cast her as Nadine in Uncharted 4, and they continue to give her acting some reach here. Just the things she does and the way you can somewhat understand why (the way her friends are the ragtag bunch of misfits of another tale that we'd probably be all-in for in any other scenario).
And JESUS, CAN SHE BRAWL. Slamming an infected on the ground before jumping on their head? Hoo boy...

On a technical level it’s as good as I’ve come to expect Naughty Dog to be. That snow tech! I brushed by a pine tree and all the snow collapsed off of the branches. They’re so good at the details in a way not many other studios are.

That horse ride into Seattle was crazy good. On a technical level I'm blown away by what they can demand from a base PS4 performance-wise. And I haven't heard my Pro scream like it was since God of War (even Death Stranding usually only causes my PS4 to make a... Low Roar).
And even though we only went through the one major setpiece (Abby running from the horde of infected), the game filled us with more "Holy Crap" heart-pumping moments in five minutes than any other game has been able to in recent memory - And then what happens next...

I have a three day weekend after tomorrow, and it’s a good thing I didn’t have any plans to cancel to play this the entire time.

And to think Sammy's already caught up to us on Dying Light. :P
Yeah, we were just going to play for an hour or so, however long we thought the prologue would be... but man, four hours flew by so quick. I'm almost bummed that I made plans for Sunday.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread