Fan Reaction. (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 26, 2020, 07:46 (1398 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, June 26, 2020, 07:54

This is hilarious. Spoilers obviously, not that anyone should care at this point.

https://youtu.be/6UDi8pL4RWg

Worst game he ever played huh? He must not have played Final Fantasy 15.

You know, the internet’s constant mocking of Abby’s appearance I think really does expose an ugly truth. It’s specifically why the trope of the strong masculine woman typically has her being either uninterested in sex, or a lesbian. Men are uncomfortable with heterosexual displays by masculine women. And lo and behold this is what we see in aggregate with Abby, a masculine heterosexual woman, while Ellie fits the trope and is loved. I cannot believe this is solely due to her being “poorly written” when her motivations and reasons for change are the most clear of any characater.

It’s so weird when critics of the game are accused of hating women, while the game so completely re enforces the patriarchal subjugation of the feminine. I didn’t even talk about Lev, who is subject to such overt oppression (being a child bride), that the solution is to shave his head and become a man. Rather than fight for women, he discards the feminine all together.

I’m just baffled that no critics really even discuss any of this. Is their ability to analyze so shallow that they think female leads automatically mean the game is good for women?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread