An interesting take on the role of procedural rherotic (Gaming)

by electricpirate @, Monday, November 04, 2013, 10:00 (3833 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I really like Triad, which serves as an interesting metaphor on the challenges of poly amorous relationships.

The bar must be set really low if a simple Puzzle game is an 'interesting metaphor' for the challenges of polyamorous relationships. This is why I think games academics are horrible thinkers. What is insightful about trying to fit three people onto a bed?

You'd understand the real challenges if you talk to someone in such a relationship for THREE MINUTES over playing that game. Then go play Lup Salad. You'd have a better understanding of human sexuality, AND you'd play a better puzzle game.

2 points. One, is the direct systemic representation of three people sharing spaces designed for two. There's a really simple lesson about the compromises, and frustration that goes along with that buried in that system.

Which is the point, games are really good at defining and explaining systems, as it's what they are. Explaining the nuance of a system through words, or diagrams is hard, but a games do it really well.

The second part is the metaphor for an entire relationship, which is something that I take, more than is explicitly in the game.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread