An interesting take on the role of procedural rherotic (Gaming)

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 21:27 (3832 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So the point is that it's hard to have a polyamorous relationship? WOW, what an insightful statement right there. Not. If you go on to explore WHY, then you may be on

to something. I promise you it's not hard just because you can't share a bed.

Man, I just thought this was a fun little example of making a point procedurally. You seem to have taken it personally.

Which is the point, games are really good at defining and explaining systems, as it's what they are. Explaining the nuance of a system through words, or diagrams is hard, but a games do it really well.

Games are extremely bad at defining and explaining social systems and emotional complexity.

I mean the second... sure, that's something games struggle with.

But bad at explaining social systems I mean... that's kinda crazy talk. That's the foundation of a huge swath of multiplayer games, from massive MMOs (EVE generally gets, highlighted here, but just about any MMO has some kind of major exploration of social system), experimental things like B.U.T.T.O.N. Board games, especially Euro game tend to get into this too.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread