BioShock Infinite *SP* (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 04, 2013, 12:32 (3833 days ago) @ electricpirate

I think Infinite would be a better game if it just avoided that kind of take on race relations entirely, and found another way to focus on the metaphysical narrative, which was much stronger.

See, to me, that's what makes the game transgressive. We're used to racism being the focal point because that's what we usually see whenever race is addressed in contemporary art forms. To make it not be the focal point (or the only focal point) is to draw attention to other aspects of our history (like how we write it personally and nationally). Other issues raised include the suppression of female power, the origins of religious belief (or disbelief), the highs and lows brought forth by the industrial revolution--the game is rich and I applaud that ambition. Booker/Comstock is a complex, wounded figure--a guilty figure whose compensations for his guilt take him/them on two distinct paths. Ultimately, I think racism is never really out of focus in that it's the story's original sin, but it's somewhat obscured below the individual narrative threads. I think that's what bothered some people, but I found it it more interesting and effective than the usual, forgive the phrase, black and white narrative about race.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread