An interesting take on the role of procedural rherotic (Gaming)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, November 04, 2013, 19:35 (3833 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I absolutely have experienced emotions and unique worlds playing games. The thing is though, games do certain types of emotions better than anywhere else. Tension, terror, exhilaration, wonder, etc. These are emotions that stem from the interaction the game asks you to engage in, rather than thematic content which needs to be supplemented with non interactive presentations.

And I've felt happiness, saddness, regret, confidence, etc., and these were created by both interaction and supplementary cinematics, text-stories, and more. But I also am not a fan of making games just like movies or anything else. Games can often use some of the same tools, sure, but I do not believe that you can just apply lessons you've learned from other mediums and force them into video games. They have their own special traits, like any medium, that you have to learn how to work and master. But in execution, different things work with different people, and special experiences can resonate with certain people and their unique lives while others can be left unaffected. That's why you and I like different things. That's why people have different favorite books or movies. But the way you speak, it almost seems that everyone's favorites should fall into certain parameters you've set down. You've found yourself in a perfect line of logic that leaves no space for other people and other perspectives.

I, myself, wouldn't want to live in that reality. Glad I live brainwashed in this Matrix you speak of. It's actually... pretty cool. I can jump across buildings and shit. Enjoy your certainty.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread