An interesting take on the role of procedural rherotic (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 04, 2013, 15:30 (3833 days ago) @ Leviathan

Good film, yes. But that's doesn't mean everyone involved with modern fine art is brainwashed, just like it doesn't mean everyone who believe video games are art are brainwashed as well. There are exceptions to every rule somebody has made up.

I believe games are art, so we are not all brainwashed. But anybody who likes Triad or Passage is most certainly brainwashed.

I believe games are art, by my own definitions. I've experienced emotions, stories, and worlds in unique ways that only video games could do. You apparently haven't, and will diminish my views with your own logic, grouping me in with other people I don't know, or perhaps claim that I'm brainwashed.

I absolutely have experienced emotions and unique worlds playing games. The thing is though, games do certain types of emotions better than anywhere else. Tension, terror, exhilaration, wonder, etc. These are emotions that stem from the interaction the game asks you to engage in, rather than thematic content which needs to be supplemented with non interactive presentations.

When you fall into those traps, something new can walk right in front of you and you won't notice it because you've made your world black and white. An amazing experience could be had in the shape of something you've done before, but you won't feel it because you're going in with an opinion ready to fire. A closed mind like this will make the world look like whatever you want it to look like. A self-fulfilling prophecy.

I actually consider myself to be incredibly open minded, and I continually challenge what I think. I have studied visual art in a philosophical context officially for 4 years, and unofficially ever since then. To me, my views on these arts are as certain as a biologist's view on evolution. The layman may deny evolution because he has not the education nor the exposure to the overwhelmingly compelling evidence supporting it. Likewise, I feel this is a problem with folks who think about art and video games sometimes, since to actually understand and begin to think correctly about them requires knowledge of other visual arts and philosophy, as well as actually LIKING video games (something I think many academics don't actually do!).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread