Skill Up’s Beyond Light Review (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, December 30, 2020, 11:08 (1212 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There’s absolutely a benefit. The mods are worthwhile. They’re just not necessary, and they are annoying to manage and deal with. Every single weapon type has its own set of mods (Targeting, Unflinching, Ammo Reserves, ammo finder, etc). So every time I switch guns, I also switch mods. It makes actually playing the game annoying—to be as effective as possible, you have to spend five minutes swapping mods between activities.

Which means I spend a lot of time not being as effective as absolutely possible, because fuck that. Combine that with the fact that you the number of mods you can apply is directly tied to which masterwork tier it’s at and the current upgrade material economy, and even having a full set of armor that can be maximized is a huge pain in the ass.

And also that all the great Warmind and Charges with Light mods can only be bought from Banshee, who sells one random mod per day (and those are often just general mods and not those really great ones).

It’s a system with a lot of potential that ends up being more trouble than it’s worth most of the time. The people that play Destiny constantly and are drowning in materials and have all the mods unlocked are probably mostly fine, but the rest of us are wrestling with the leftovers of a half baked system.

When you can get a build just right, the system does feel really good. The amount of work and just general management required for that makes it mostly not worth fucking with. Slap whatever mods you have on whatever you can and call it a day, which is not engaging.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread