Advanced Learning for Blueberries (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, December 30, 2020, 21:50 (1205 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

It recently came to light that a member of DBO didn't know much about Champions, in part due to the mod system requirement. Before this, I would have expected that all of us who at least post here (as I have recently seen some new names in the clan that I don't yet recognize,) would understand the ins and outs of this game. I can only imagine how "Destiny the Game" at this point may feel to someone who really is coming into the game alone. That hill outside the wall may be more or less the same, but it sure is different now, yeah? (Which also compounds into the above observation.)

This problem could be fixed by better tutorialization and information access. Genshin Impact, a game that came out in September, has already implemented an archive system (that wasn't available at launch) where, among other pieces of information, tutorials can be reaccessed. Champions, while introduced in an alright fashion in the season they were introduced, were never given context again.

Which is why they now have Shaw Han in the Cosmodrome now, right? (I've not bothered to give the revamped Blueberry experience a look.) Has any one here noticed the addition of "explainer text" in the basic Cosmodrome based content? I don't know how extensive it is, but the little I've read seems very well made talking about the basics. It's curious that Bungie made all this effort in teaching the games basics, but didn't talk about any of the more advanced things that give this game its... um... game play multiplier lets say.

Remember in Destiny 1 coming across the enemies with skull icons? These enemies were primarily in "The Grotto" which is now blocked off in Destiny 2. We learned really quick that trying to fight said foes while at a low light level to be a fruitless venture (though speed running/evading past all the one hit, invincible thrall were kinda fun). It's a shame this space doesn't exist now in Destiny 2, with nothing but Champions of every form. Really feels like a missed opportunity to have something for a new player to look forward to come back to learn about, while having fun doing it organically. No built in "replay" mode required.

IMO, Bungie leans way too heavily on its community to do the heavy lifting. Then again, I feel that Bungie primarily designs Destiny for group play, for better or for worse. That does make starting them game overwhelming if doing so outside of an existing group of players.

Agreed and agreed. I think I've said this here before, but for a game so group focused, I've at times found Destiny to be paradoxically a very lonely game.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread