ALL THE HYPERBOLE. RIGHT HERE. (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Sunday, November 17, 2013, 06:17 (3815 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But even so, the very idea of balancing runs afoul of the premise. People are only going to grind for things that give them an advantage. If you nullify that advantage (even if the nerfing only applies to competitive MP) via balancing, that's less incentive to grind.

There should be zero grinding required to play multiplayer optimally. ZERO. If you have to do ANY, then Bungie doesn't fucking know how to design a game properly.

I'm hoping you all are just misinterpreting the information presented, because if this is the case then it would be a blunder of the highest degree, an affront to good game design, downright offensive to players expected to do it, and the end of Bungie's reputation for quality.

Laughable.

I think it's a reasonably safe assumption that matchmaking will pit you against fireteams of similar rank. Within whatever such bands matchmaking will operate, *of course* you'll see other players optimizing their kits based on whatever gear is most beneficial/attainable for that rank. Be it through vendors or exploring the wilds that they accrue their gear, I'm sure there will be a number of options available for you to be able to compete.

Besides, what makes you think you won't gain experience and gear through competitive matches? There goes all your griping, right out the window. If you are rewarded no matter what you do, and it's just a matter of *which* gear you'd prefer to be using, well, go on out and get it. Competitive matches didn't earn you that sniper you want? Maybe you'll just have to buck on up and carve a path through a particularly dangerous area to do it. OH NOES, GAME BROKED.

Nothing would require it of you. And, bear in mind, Bungie's been known to promote the well-rounded player. They've specifically gotten the point across about how you'll be able to earn gear through different modes of play. As a matter of fact, I'd say that demanding a particular experience through one specific mode of play probably goes against a significant amount of effort they've put into making it a comprehensive experience, if I'm reading the tea leaves they're showing us correctly.

~m

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread