Wait, so you're against upgrades too? (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 18, 2013, 09:29 (3815 days ago) @ ZackDark

I mean, games like Skyrim, Far Cry, the Arkham games. They all have some sort of unlockable upgrades. Are you, by the same principle, against them too or can you see some situations where they apply as good implementations of locked-away content?

There are plenty of situations where they can work if done properly. Vanquish. Deus Ex. I've explained the difference elsewhere.

If they are integrated in such a way that make the game more interesting, than that's a benefit:

Deus Ex: Augmentations are scarce and mutually exclusive, as well as open up new avenues for play. Strategic decisions about which augs to use and mix make the game more interesting than either having no augs, or playing with all augs 'unlocked'. You also do not earn them by grinding, but rather in set places.

Vanquish: The weapon upgrade system forces you to make tradeoffs and play differently to upgrade your weapons.

Bu then again, such thing aren't really unlockables then, are they? It's just a part of the game challenge.

So yeah, I guess no. Unlockables always suck.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread