Seen another way (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, August 24, 2022, 15:01 (582 days ago) @ kidtsunami

That’s how I view it. $100 a year is pretty damn cheap for the enjoyment I get from Destiny. I would probably bitch about it, but they could honestly probably double that and I’d still do it. It is worth noting you got the same thing for $80 last year, so we might already be on the road towards that happening.

Yeah, technically the game is free to play. You can visit every Destination, do Strikes, Gambit, and Crucible. But tons of stuff is locked. You can go to the Throne World for free, but the upgrades with Fynch are locked behind campaign progress you wouldn’t be able to do. I think Wellspring is locked. Calling Destiny free to play seems like a generous interpretation, even if it’s technically true.

I don’t particularly care either way. I can’t see myself enjoying only playing the free stuff in Destiny, but that doesn’t make the option existing a bad one.

Honestly, Cody, I’m really struggling to see your point on this one. We can talk about the way the game is presented and designed and engaged with, and we’d agree on a lot of its problems, I’m sure, but Destiny having a technically free to play moniker doesn’t really have a hand in that, I don’t think.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread