I miss the old Vidocs (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, February 17, 2023, 08:35 (426 days ago) @ squidnh3

Let's not forget additional aspects of the old Bungie:
1. Months-long horrifying death march crunches
2. Poor mental health support
3. Alleged harassment issues

If slightly less raw Vidocs and $20 campaign skips that can easily be totally ignored is the price to pay for addressing those issues, okay then.

Honestly… I think it will only make those things worse.

The general sense I get is that the live service game model makes a lot of money, but is very stressful on the developers. One of the biggest live service games - Fortnite, is just brutal on the folks making it, as many of them have attested. It makes sense right? You have to constantly push out new stuff, in a timely manner, while dealing with a voraciously hungry community who is also complaining for you to fix shit and give them more stuff. There's pressure to keep your playerbase playing YOUR game, both for optics and for the sales of the things that actually make you money now that he game is free to play. So, you have to push and crunch and burn people out.

So buying the skip and liking the Vidocs is really only encouraging them to continue on this route, since those are a product of the live service shift.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread